How Ceramic Coating Is Different From Other Paint Coatings And Is It Worth It?
What is paint protection coating?
Paint Protection Coating is not to be confused with some form of paint sealant such as Teflon. It is basically a class of products that bond to the paint at the molecular level and provide a hard layer of protection that minimizes the scratches and scuffs on your vehicle. These coatings are also called ceramic coatings. They fill the pores in the car’s surface to produce a glass-like sheen. These can be used for interior as well as exterior surfaces.
How is this different from waxes and sealants?
Sealants are synthetic polymers or resins that bind to the paint on your vehicle and last you a few months. Similarly, waxes only provide warm shine to your vehicle and last about 1-3 months. Both waxes and sealants can be easily removed by detergents and do not provide protection against scratches, scuffs, and rock chips.
The ceramic coating, on the other hand, is manmade material and also called the Nano-coatings. But these are not applied like waxes or sealants. Their layers are thinner but these are stronger as they form a bond with the paint. These are long-lasting because they provide a hard layer of protection against impenetrable biological contaminants. They resist UV rays, other chemicals and are hydrophobic. When these are applied to the surface of any vehicle, it becomes easy to wash the vehicle and clean the dirt from it. And can only be removed from the vehicle through abrasion.
What are the advantages of using a ceramic coating?
- It is better to use a ceramic coating on your vehicle as it can withstand normal wear and tear. It is a lot better and useful than the traditional paint coating techniques.
- It provides a shine that lasts on the car for years to come. And gives a showroom gloss making it look like a newly bought car.
- It is means of saving money and time. Many waxes and sealants have to be reapplied after several months. But this is not the case with ceramic coating. It will last you for years saving you from the hassle of getting your car paint protected again.
- Your car will be protected against all the harsh contaminants, chemical spills, dirty rainwater, bug spills, and a lot more.
- You will not have to worry about your vehicle getting light scratches from the regular car washes. As this coating is several times more scratch-resistant than the factory clear coat and will help in minimizing the scratches.
DIY Ceramic Coatings vs. Nano-Ceramic Coating:
The purpose of both DIY Ceramic Coatings and the Nano-ceramic coating is to provide your vehicle with extra protection. However, the end results and protection quality of the DIY Ceramic Coating and the Nano-ceramic coating could differ. A Nano-ceramic coating is made up of a highly complex formula and has specific tolerances for the prep work, adhesion, application, and removal. However, a DIY Ceramic coating has no control over the results whatsoever. Also, there is no guarantee that the DIY Ceramic coating will provide effective strength, durability, and good quality. It applies inconsistently and there is no warranty about how long it will last.
Is it worth it?
This is definitely a good way of maintaining the exterior of your car. It can range from a few hundred pounds for a small car to four figures for providing extra protection to a luxury car. Whilst deciding whether you should get these services for your car or not. First, decide that where your car spends most of its time when it is not in use. If it is typically parked under trees or in the parking lot, then getting ceramic protection is a good investment for your car. Likewise, if your car travels long distances on the roads frequently, then getting these services is good as it will protect it from the rock and stone chips on the road. However, if you prefer using public transport for going to the office or for your regular chores and your car mostly remains parked in the garage, then there is no need for extra protection.
The final decision is yours:
In the end, the decision is yours, depending on how do you use your car and what are your requirements. Now, when you go for paint protection coating of your car, don’t be confused by all different coating names, just ask the dealer that you want to get a ceramic coating done. He will decide the right level of protection for your car and will prepare your car for the ceramic coating to attain the best results possible.